Friday 29 September 2023

"The Undersea World of Caj De Silva of Zanzibar"

Dear All Zanzibaris,

"The Undersea World of Caj De Silva of Zanzibar"

Whilst surfing through thousands of photographs of the past mixed with various documents, I found a 4 page (A4) folder with one photograph of Caj De Silva who needs no introduction as he was well known and established in Zanzibar, well known for his swimming and underwater diving besides spear-fishing which I too greatly enjoyed.

First of all, I convey my apologies for never posting Caj's article which was given to me in 2004 when I first returned to Zanzibar with a professional Scuba Diving Instructor Ian Moseley, on a special mission to promote "A Guide to Scuba Diving in Zanzibar"
which would include all the various diving reefs across the island.  (Benny's links)

Unfortunately my project failed as, soon after 1964, the local fishermen were using dynamite to kill fish and as such many of our unique coral reefs were destroyed needing me to dive deeper to capture the good coral and fish, but my underwater camera equipment was not good enough to market a professional product.

All told, better late than never, below is Caj's 4 page very interesting article as it was given to me, but sorry the quality of print not too good. (I will soon retype his post and resend as soon as I can find time).

P.S. Anyone who may have some photos of Caj and friends, please oblige and forward to me via my email bennydesouza@btinternet.com which I will add to Caj's special unique blogspot.

To conclude, we all from Zanzibar can feel proud of 'The 2 De Silva" brothers who have contributed well with their achievements, introducing the late Historian "John De Silva" from Zanzibar who has a global reputation for his work on our Paradise Island Zanzibar. John De Silva's  Blogspot 
https://zanzibarsogas4.blogspot.com/










No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Undersea World of Caj De Silva of Zanzibar"

Dear All Zanzibaris, "The Undersea World of Caj De Silva of Zanzibar" Whilst surfing through thousands of photographs of the past ...